Hybrid Meetings Video Tutorials
This video tutorial series is for non-tech club leaders who find themselves wrestling with hybrid meetings. Developed by Lancaster club "Zoomist" John Kelsey, the series covers the basics of hybrid Zoom meetings from the perspective that we only do this once or twice a month, we just need it to work, so let's keep it simple and affordable, and fun. Questions? Ask John Kelsey, Zoomist extraordinaire.
- Non-Tech Intro to Zoom A/V Setups. An overview with hybrid meeting definitions, diagrams, and costs. (TRT 8:28) Click here to watch.
- Better Club Demos with Big TV and Camcorder. Many clubs already have the basic camcorder-TV setup for demos. This video shows exactly how to set it up, and how to place and use the camera for business, show-n-tell, and club demos. (TRT 13:31) Click here to watch.
- Three Free Internet Accounts a hybrid club needs, along with free Zoom software and a free YouTube channel. Club leaders new to all this should also watch Alan Zenreich's deep dives into LIRD equipment and Zoom menus (2020). (TRT 5:59) Click here to watch.
- Simplest All-Zoom Setup with Laptop, Camcorder, Speakerphone and Big TV. Starting with the camcorder and big TV, clubs can add a donated laptop and a speakerphone to start holding hybrid meetings on Zoom. Experimenting with this basic low-cost setup will help club leaders figure out what's next, for the meetings their members want in their own meeting spaces. (TRT 15:02) Click here to watch.
- Uploading Club Videos to YouTube. (TRT 5:15) Click here to watch.
- Speakerphone, Puck Mic and Wireless Mic. Bringing sound into Zoom from the demo, the speaker and the members in the room. (TRT 6:46) Click here to watch.
- Selecting and Setting Up Overhead Webcams for Woodturning Demos. Because they are made to see faces from 2 feet away, webcams make good overhead video cameras. They are cheaper than camcorders and most can be managed by on-screen software. (TRT 13:13) Click here to watch.
- iPad on WiFi as Demo Cam, Monitor & Room Cam. The versatile iPad, mounted on a mast near the lathe, serves as camera on the demonstrator and on the members in the room, and also as confidence monitor for the demonstrator. (TRT 5:31) Click here to watch.
- Zooming Across the Digital Divide. A short montage of the ways Lancaster club has used the online a/v setup to enhance member participation and communication, whether they are in the meeting room or far away on Zoom. (TRT 3:26) Click here to watch.
- One Moment Please, key tip for successful club meetings on Zoom. (TRT :32) Click here to watch.
Hybrid Meeting Open Forum
The monthly Hybrid Meeting Open Forum invites woodturning club leaders to present their a/v setups, by live slideshow or narrated video, with diagrams and details of what works well, alongside what does not yet work. Questions? Ask John Kelsey, Zoomist extraordinaire.
- Hybrid Setups - Pro A-V Setup at Susquehanna Club - Susquehanna Woodturners in Harrisburg PA has an unusual A-V setup for hybrid meetings. They set up and break down every month in the classroom behind the local Woodcraft store. The setup features industrial HDMI cameras that are much cheaper than consumer camcorders, a wireless HDMI extender, VGA to monitors via a powered VGA splitter, single-source power via a 12-volt octopus cable, and in-room audio via a speakerphone. Club president Tim Starliper explains everything in this 18-minute phone cam video by John Kelsey. A version was shown at Hybrid Forum #3, June 20 2022. Click here to watch.
- Hybrid Setups - Dave Landers Rocky Mountain Woodturners - Dave Landers of Rocky Mountain Woodturners (Loveland, CO) shows and discusses their hybrid meeting setup. The club meets behind a Woodcraft store and stows all of its gear in a tall cabinet. The cabinet opens to become the zoom operator's desk, just plug it in and connect the camcorders. The large TV for viewing in the room hangs on its back side. An elegant and innovative solution to the setup-breakdown problem that many woodturning clubs and AAW chapters face. Dave also shows diagrams and parts lists for the audio and video setups, including the audio mixer. Excerpt from Hybrid Forum #2, May 16, 2022. Click here to watch.
- Hybrid Setups - Harvey Rogers Cascade Woodturners Hybrid Efforts - Harvey Rogers of Cascade Woodturners, Portland, OR, gave an excellent presentation of the club's hybrid meeting efforts and current picture, which led the group into an expansive discussion. Excerpted from Hybrid Forum #4, July 18, 2022. Click here to watch.
- Hybrid Setups - Lancaster Woodturners A-V setup with Atem & audio mixer May 2022 - The May 2022 rendition of the Lancaster Woodturners audio-video setup for hybrid meetings, using an ATEM A/V switch and a Hart audio mixer to manage cameras and microphones in the meeting room. Presented at Hybrid Forum #1 May 16, 2022. Click here to watch.