About   |   Donate   |   Store   |   Contact Us   |   Sign In   |   Join AAW
Individual Insurance - Business
Share |

The AAW offers several types of insurance for member's and local chapter's use, including liability, discounted personal health, life, and business related coverage.


Most professional turners know that their homeowner’s insurance policy does not cover their private business activities, inventory, teaching, equipment, and property. Most of them have either done without insurance at great risk or, at great expense and effort, have found an agent to cover them. On the other hand, most of the rest of us assume that our homeowner’s policy insures us even if we do some sales of our work or occasional teaching or selling tools or videos.


Laws that regulate insurance vary from state to state. In North Carolina, it used to be that activities that were occasional in nature and did not amount to a "substantial" amount of income were covered by one’s homeowner’s policy. A few years ago, it changed to say that "any" activity that was commercial in nature, no matter how few dollars were involved, was not covered. That means that if someone came to a turner's home to buy a piece and was injured, or if his shop burned, or his tools were stolen, or he taught a private class, he would not be covered. Each member should check with your own insurance agent to see if all of your activities are covered by your homeowner’s insurance policy.


As a service to its members, the AAW has sought out an insurance program that individual members can purchase at reasonable rates to cover their commercial activities of woodturning. The program that we have found can insure AAW members in all states of the USA. If someone can recommend insurers that will cover international members, please let the AAW know.


AMJ Insurance, Inc., a well-respected national firm, offers the policies that the AAW is sponsoring.  They have been offering similar policies to members of the American Crafts Council (ACC) for several years.  AMJ Insurance will primarily use national insurance companies like Travelers, The Hartford, and others.  The AAW-endorsed program offers specialized policies that can be customized to fit the needs of our member businesses. These policies can include coverage for:

  • Business Contents coverage for shows
  • Goods in Transit
  • Loss of Business Income
  • Accounts Receivable and Valuable Papers
  • Goods on Consignment
  • Liability - Premises and Products
  • Coverage if you teach classes
  • Coverage if you sell tools or videos



To apply and receive a premium quote, download and print an application, fill it out, and (1) scan it to a file and email it, (2) print and snail mail it, or (3) print and fax it to the address on the application. You must be an AAW member to apply.



Association Management Software Powered by YourMembership  ::  Legal