Live Virtual Woodturning Event
AAW Presents: Derek Weidman
Sculpting Wildlife with a Wood Lathe
Saturday, April 15, 2023
3:00 p.m. Eastern Time
AAW Presents a live, virtual woodturning demonstration with innovative sculptor Derek Weidman.
During this live, online narration of his recorded demonstration, Derek will create an animal on a wood lathe using primarily multi axis turning. Time will be dedicated to thorough coverage of safe practices and techniques for multi axis work, before moving into a more fluid design session, learning how to carve with the lathe. Finally, the demo will incorporate some contemporary carving tools, as well as some other tips and tricks.
- Multi-axis techniques and safety
- Use of contemporary carving tools
- Texturing with chainsaws
About the Presenter
Derek Weidman, born in 1982, lives in rural Pennsylvania a bit outside the city of Philadelphia. Initially studying philosophy in college, but a born artist, he choose to follow in the path of his father who was a bird carver. When he began turning in 2003 he approached the lathe as a sculptor, primarily exploring and pushing the boundaries of multi-axis turning. His main effort was trying to create a visually descriptive and versatile language born out of the arcing and circular cuts of a lathe, and has spent well over a decade now building up a vocabulary of shapes and cuts. At the heart of many of his works he treats the lathe almost as an unusual camera, with every subject passing through its lens adding to a visually novel circular zoo of animals.
- $10 AAW members, $15 all others.
- Preregistration required. Replay will be available to registered attendees only.
- All experience levels are welcome.
- The presentation is expected to last approximately 120 minutes.
- Registration is open through Saturday, April 15, 2023 at 10am Eastern Time.
Confirmation/Receipt and Event Link
- After registering, you will receive a receipt/confirmation by email.
- A link to the event will be sent by email approximately 24-hours prior to the event. Day-of registration links will be sent immediately prior to the event.
Advance registration includes online replay of the event. The replay will be available to registered attendees through May 6, 2023. Registered attendees will be provided a link via email when the replay is available for viewing.