Live Online Event
AAW Presents: Glenn Lucas
Make a Traditional Irish Platter
Saturday, September 17, 2022
3:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Join us online for a fascinating demonstration by internationally known woodturner Glenn Lucas! He’ll kick off with a quick photographic tour of his woodturning facility. After that, Glenn will show you how to turn a unique platter similar to one discovered in an archaeological excavation at a castle in County Limerick, Ireland. He’ll cover details on wood drying, tool technique, and finishing.
- How to source and fillet the tree to get the most stable grain orientation for the finished piece.
- How to get flowing curves and crisp details with a minimum of sanding using standard tools.
- Techniques for power sanding and finishing.
- $10 AAW members, $15 all others.
- Preregistration required. Replay will be available to registered attendees only.
- All experience levels are welcome.
- The presentation is expected to last approximately 120 minutes.
- Registration is extended through through Saturday, September 17, at 10am Eastern Time.
Confirmation/Receipt and Event Link
- After registering, you will receive a receipt/confirmation by email.
- A link to the event will be sent by email approximately 24-hours prior to the event. Day-of registration links will be sent immediately prior to the event.
Advance registration includes online replay of the event. The replay will be available to registered attendees through October 17. Registered attendees will be provided a link via email when the replay is available for viewing.
About Glenn Lucas
Glenn Lucas has been turning wood since 1990. Starting as a production turner, he worked to produce both classic-functional and one-off artistic pieces for homes and collections. Today, Glenn has an international reputation for his proficiency at the lathe and teaching. He balances his production of classic bowls turned from native Irish wood, with an extensive teaching program run from his County Carlow "Woodturning Study Centre" in rural south-east Ireland. In January 2021, during the height of the Covid-19 pandemic, Glenn moved into a purpose-designed woodturning training center. Unable to have students visit the center in person, he now has a dedicated Zoom-room and runs a busy private tuition schedule, as well as a remote demonstration program to clubs and groups using high-definition cameras to show every turning and tool detail. Since August 2021, the woodturning center has welcomed classes of woodturners on 3-day, 5-day and private one-day classes. Glenn has a reputation for efficiency and having an in-depth knowledge of the tools of the trade. In May 2013, a range of Glenn Lucas Signature Woodturning Tools was launched by Craft Supplies USA. He has made many videos over the years, and also has a streaming channel with demos and projects showing projects and tips and techniques.