Live Online Event
AAW Presents: Beth Ireland
Using the Lathe to Make Stringed Instruments
Saturday, October 23, 2021
3:00 p.m. Eastern Time
Join us online for an intriguing session with Beth Ireland, who will present the lathe as a tool for creating stringed instruments!
Beth uses techniques such as offset turning, segmenting, split turning, and faceplate turning to create a variety of stringed instruments including guitars, mandolins, ukuleles, and banjos. In this demonstration, you’ll:
- See Beth apply two techniques of architectural woodturning, offset and split turning, to sculpt a neck for a stringed instrument.
- Watch Beth utilize the lathe as a power carver to quickly create a variety of neck profiles.
- Hear a short overview of how an instrument is laid out.
- Learn how to begin simple instrument making with the use of a neck and a found object like a cigar box.
- $10 AAW members, $15 all others
- Preregistration required. Replay will be available to registered attendees only.
- All experience levels are welcome.
- The presentation is expected to last approximately 120 minutes.
- Registration is open through Friday, October 22, at noon Eastern Time.
Confirmation/Receipt and Event Link
- After registering, you will receive a receipt/confirmation by email.
- A link to the event will be sent by email approximately 24-hours prior to the event.
Advance registration includes online replay of the event. The replay will be available to registered attendees through November 14. Registered attendees will be provided a link via email when the replay is available for viewing.