The Space Between: 2022 POP Exhibition and Auction
Application Period: December 1, 2021 to January 15, 2022
The Professional Outreach Program (POP) is pleased to announce its 2022 exhibition and auction theme, The Space Between.
As POP brainstormed ideas for the 2022 show, the theme of “negative space” was a popular one. At its most basic, negative space is the space between, within and surrounding an object in an image. Sometimes it is subtle, sometimes obvious, sometimes playful, like the classic image of the vase and faces.
The Space Between suggests negative space, but also allows for a wide range of interpretations. The Space Between offers room for interpretations of personal relationships, social distancing, politics, generational differences, the passage of time, juxtapositions of form and color, or a striking silhouette, just to start.
As always the POP exhibition is small scale, with a 6” x 6” x 6” size limit.
- The juried portion of the show is open to any AAW member and to full-time students in art, design, or industry-related degree programs, regardless of membership status.
- All types of turnings are welcome: sculptural, functional, segmented, ornamental, green-turned, etc.
- All entries must include turning, but any material may be used..
- Work, as it will be displayed, must fit into the area of a 6" (15cm) cube. No exceptions.
- Up to three works may be entered. Only one piece per artist will be exhibited, if chosen.
- Entry fee: $25 for up to three submissions. Fee is waived for full-time students in art, design, or industry-related degree programs.
- A theme statement of up to 100 words is required.
Where and when to apply
- Application period: December 1, 2021 to January 15, 2022, 11:59 p.m. CST. All artists will be notified by January 31, 2022.
Submit digital images in .jpg format, less than 4 MB per file. You may submit up to three images of each entry. The work is juried through photographs, so it is important that images are clear, properly exposed, and in focus. A plain background is recommended.
Elements will premiere at the AAW Gallery of Wood Art in Saint Paul, Minnesota, and be on view March 27 – May 29, 2022, before traveling to Chattanooga for the 2022 Symposium.
Delivery and display
Accepted work must be shipped to arrive at the AAW Gallery of Wood Art in St. Paul by February 28, 2022. Artwork must be ready for installation; and freestanding or with an easel or other support provided. Support subject to approval.
This show concludes with a live and online auction at the AAW Symposium. Funds raised support POP programs, including the Instant Gallery awards, critiques, fellowships, Artist Showcase, panel discussions, and other professional development initiatives. Artists may set a reserve price and retain up to 50% of the proceeds.
Artworks will be professionally photographed and compiled into a full-color catalog. Participating artists receive complimentary copies.
For more information, contact Tib Shaw at [email protected].