Call for Entries
Bridging the Gap: the Craft and Art of Turning
2022 AAW Member Exhibition
Application period: January 1 to March 15, 2022
The theme for the 2022 Symposium AAW member show is Bridging the Gap: The Craft and Art of Turning.
The themes for the annual member show traditionally draw from the host city or state, and Chattanooga is a city of many bridges. The year’s theme also refers to the continuum of work being created by our members, from primarily functional to completely sculptural, and all points in between.
As always, the theme is open to many interpretations, whether your motivation is metaphor, material, techniques, or just the pleasure of turning!
There are two cash prizes for this exhibition: $300 Masters Choice, selected by the jurors, and $200 People’s Choice, selected by AAW 2022 Symposium attendees.
This year’s theme opens the door to creating an exhibition that showcases the full scope of excellent work being created by woodturners, and we hope you will apply!
- The show is open to any current AAW member and to fulltime students in art, design, or industry-related degree programs, regardless of AAW membership status.
- Work for the annual AAW Member Exhibition is juried through photographs; all entries are anonymous. Accepted works that differ from the submitted images may be refused at AAW’s discretion.
- All types of turnings are welcome: sculptural, functional, segmented, ornamental, green-turned, traditional, etc.
- Collaborations are also welcome.
- Entry fee: $25 for up to three submissions . The application fee is waived for fulltime students in art, design, or industry-related degree programs.
- A theme statement of up to 100 words is required. Describe how the work fits your interpretation of the theme.
- You are free to use any media, but the work must be created at least partially on the lathe.
- Work must have been created in the past two years (Between March 2020 and March 15, 2022).
Where and when to apply
- Application period: January 1 to March 15, 2022, 11:59 p.m. CST. All artists will be notified by March 31, 2022.
Submit digital images in .jpg or .jpeg format, maximum size 4 MB per file. You may submit up to three images for each entry. The main image should be an overall shot; the remaining two images can include details or alternative views. The show is juried through photographs, so it is important that images be clear, properly exposed, and in focus. A plain background is recommended. Do not watermark or include your name on the images.
Bridging the Gap will premiere at the AAW’s Annual International Woodturning Symposium in Chattanooga, Tennessee, June 23 to 26. The exhibition will then travel to the AAW Gallery of Wood Art, Saint Paul, Minnesota, where it will be on display until the end of the year.
Delivery and display
Accepted work can be shipped ahead to the Symposium site in Chattanooga to arrive by, or hand-delivered on Wednesday, June 22nd, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., or Thursday, June 23rd, 9:00 a.m. to noon. Artwork must be in excellent condition, be as shown in the entry images, and ready for installation. All work must be freestanding or with an easel or other support provided. Support subject to approval.
Displayed work need not be for sale, but for pieces that are sold, the AAW/artist split will be 45%/55%. Sold work must remain with the show until it closes in Saint Paul at the end of December 2022. Sold work may be replaced at the curator’s discretion.
Masters’ Choice Award of $300, People’s Choice Award of $200.
A full-color catalog will be available. Participating artists will receive a complimentary copy.
For more information, contact Tib Shaw at [email protected].