Call for Entries: Elements, 2021 POP Exhibition and Auction
Application Period: December 1, 2020, to January 15, 2021
Hans Weissflog, Shifted Rocking Bowl, 2020, African blackwood, boxwood, 3 9/16" x 5 1/4" x 3 3/4" (9cm x 13cmv 10cm)
The Professional Outreach Program (POP) is pleased to announce its 2021 exhibition and auction theme, Elements.
As a theme, “elements” offers much to explore: from the concrete definition as an irreducible part of something else, to the ancient worldview that earth, air, fire, and water are the constituents of all things; from the way we think about sorting out and reordering elements when creating new forms, to the feeling of being “in one’s element” or—sadly—out of it.
We are excited to be sharing next year’s exhibition theme with the American Tapestry Alliance’s biannual international small tapestries exhibition, which will be co-exhibited at the AAW Gallery of Wood Art, March 14 to June 13, 2021. For more, visit americantapestryalliance.org.
As always, the POP exhibition features small-scale works, with a 6" x 6" x 6" (15cm x 15cm x 15cm) size limit. Work submitted for consideration must be at least in part turned on the lathe.
- The juried portion of the show is open to any AAW member and to fulltime students in art, design, or industry-related degree programs, regardless of AAW membership status.
- All types of turnings are welcome: sculptural, functional, segmented, ornamental, green-turned, etc. All entries must include turning.
- Work, in the configuration in which it will be displayed, must fit into a 6" (15cm) cube. No exceptions.
- Any material may be used.
- Artists may submit up to three works for consideration. Only one piece per applicant will be exhibited, if chosen. Accepted works that differ from the submitted images may be refused at AAW’s discretion.
- Entry fee: $25 for up to three submissions. The application fee is waived for fulltime students in art, design, or industry-related degree programs.
- A theme statement of up to 100 words is required.
Where and when to apply
- Apply online at tinyurl.com/POP2021.
- Application period: December 1, 2020, to January 15, 2021, 11:59 p.m. CST. All artists will be notified by January 31, 2021.
Submit digital images in .jpg or .jpeg format less than 4 MB per file. You may submit up to three images of each entry. The main image should be an overall shot; the remaining two images can include details or alternative views. The work is juried through photographs, so it is important that images are clear, properly exposed, and in focus. A plain background is recommended.
Elements will premiere at the AAW Gallery of Wood Art in Saint Paul, Minnesota, and be on view March 14 to June 13, 2021, before traveling to the 2021 AAW International Woodturning Symposium in Omaha, Nebraska.
Delivery and display
Accepted work must be shipped to arrive at the AAW Gallery of Wood Art, Attn: Tib Shaw, 222 Landmark Center, Saint Paul, MN, 55102, by February 28, 2021. Artwork must be in excellent condition, as shown in the entry images, and ready for installation. All work must be freestanding or with an easel or other support provided. Support subject to approval.
This show concludes with a simultaneous live and online auction of all pieces at the AAW Symposium in Omaha, Nebraska. Funds raised support POP programs, including the Instant Gallery awards, critiques, fellowships, Artist Showcase, panel discussions, and other professional development initiatives. Artists may set a reserve price and retain up to 50% of the proceeds.
All work will be professionally photographed and compiled into a full-color catalog. Participating artists will receive complimentary copies.
For more, check tinyurl.com/POP2021, or contact Tib Shaw at email@example.com. To see past exhibition catalogs, visit galleryofwoodart.org.