POP is open to any AAW member - from hobbyist to professional.
AAW’s Professional Outreach Program (POP) promotes a greater understanding of professionalism within the field of contemporary woodturning. Open to any AAW member, hobbyist to professional, POP sponsors many activities for our membership, including an annual exhibition, panel discussions at our symposiums, biennial merit awards and fellowship grants, a showcase for emerging or less-recognized artists, excellence awards and critiques at the symposium’s Instant Gallery, and a professional directory. Funding for these activities comes primarily from the sale of pieces in our annual exhibition.
All AAW members are eligible to join POP at no extra cost beyond AAW membership. You do not have to be a professional woodturner to benefit from POP resources and programs. Registering is a simple online process during which you can indicate your areas of specialty/interest. The information you provide is used for member communication and for compiling POP’s professional resource directories.
POP inititatives include:
- Artist Showcase
- Themed symposium exhibit/auction
- Instant Gallery Critiques
- Excellence Awards
- Intimate Critiques
- Panel discussions/rotations (10)
- Biennial Fellowship Grants
- Biennial Merit Award
- Provide support to youth exhibition
- Maintain searchable database of POP members, collectors, galleries, educational institutions, and more to network POP members with those interested in their work.
- Video learning project
- Support the work of POP artists and the acceptance of their work as a valued media in the art world.
- Seek connections with the arts community in symposium host cities and other venues.
- Support and participant in efforts of the AAW board and headquarters office.