The AAW would like to assist members in their woodturning education. If you have a particular goal, workshop, or project in mind and need financial help, you are just the person who should apply.
To expand and share woodturning resources, the Board has established a fund from which grants are awarded to individuals (adults and youths), chapters, and other woodturning-related associations. The grants will cover expenses such as tuition, registration, demonstrators' fees, travel, lodging, and meals, with each individual grant not to exceed $1,000 and with each chapter, school, or "other” grant not to exceed $1,500. The AAW will award 10 certificates for registration to the AAW Annual International Symposium. These certificates will be for registration only and may be used for the current year.
Purpose of the Program
- Allow AAW members to benefit from their own fundraising efforts and generous support.
- Provide educational opportunities that expand and enrich the entire woodturning community.
- Provide ways that these skills may be shared with local chapters, seminars, schools, and friends.
- Create opportunities for members who would otherwise not be financially able.
- Create a full-circle relationship of AAW working for and with its members and chapters.
- An individual applicant must be an AAW member in good standing and may reapply every other year ($1,000 maximum award). Recipients must submit a report about their experiences within six months of their completion for possible inclusion in the Journal.
- Students (under age 25) may reapply every two years until age 25, after which individual Grant rules are in effect. Students must be full time ($1,000 maximum).
- A local chapter applicant must be affiliated with the AAW and may reapply every year ($1,500). A report should be submitted for the Journal.
- A school or "other” applicant may reapply every year ($1,500 maximum). Applications in this category must demonstrate an ability to enhance the mission of the AAW, namely "to provide education, information, and organization to those interested in woodturning."
- In addition to regular grants, Educational Opportunity Grants are available for full-time students under the age of 25. Applicants do not have to be AAW members to apply. The AAW encourages young turners to apply for these awards.
- Applications will be accepted through December 31 annually. One application per member, chapter, or other organization please.
- Schedules - Those applications submitted for consideration must be made no later than December 31. Recipients of grants will be notified in the second quarter and must acknowledge acceptance of the grant within 30 days of the notification.
- Each member of the EOG committee will score each application on a scale of 1 to 7. The top scores will be awarded an Educational Opportunity Grant. Emphasis will be placed on the ability and opportunity of an applicant to share information gained. Economic need may also be considered.
- The application period will open October 1, 2016.
- The application will close on December 31, 2016.
2015 EOG Recipients
Congratulations to the 2015 EOG recipients. 93 applications were reviewed and 19 grant applications were approved in the amount of $22,644
- Barnesville Woodturners, Griffin, GA
- Bay Lake Woodturners c/o Tom Carlson, Forestville, WI
- Chapel Hill Woodturners, Chapel Hill, NC
- Chicago Woodturners, Mount Prospect, IL
- Corydon Central High School, Corydon, IN
- Grey-Bruce Woodturners Guild, Wiarton, ON
- Indiana County Woodturners Association (PA), Punxsutawney, PA
- Minnesota Woodturners Association, North Oaks, MN
- Northwest Oklahoma Woodturners Association, Enid, OK
- South Saskatchewan Woodturners Guild, Regina, SK
- The Kansas City Woodturners, Westwood, KS
- Western New York Woodturners 1, North Tonawanda, NY
- Alfred Sharp, Woodbury, TN
- Mike Kirshbaum, West Islip, NY
Schools & Other
- Byron Bergen Central School, Bergen, NY
- Eagle Ranch School, Chestnut Mountain, GA
- Roosevelt Junior High School, Roosevelt, UT
- San Diego Woodturners - "Turn around for Vets" , San Diego, CA
- Weiser High School, Weiser, ID
2014 EOG Recipients
Congratulations to the 2014 EOG recipients. 70 applications were
reviewed, and 27 were approved in the amount of $36,640.
- Badger Woodturners, Madison , WI
- Central New England Woodturners, Leicester, MA
- Central Oklahoma Woodturners Associ, Edmond, OK
- Gold Country Woodturners, Nevada City, CA
- Hunt County Woodturners, Greenville, TX
- Illiana Woodturners, South Holland, IL
- Middle Georgia Woodturners, Macon, GA
- Peace River Wood Turners, Punta Gorda, FL
- Presque Isle Woodturners, Union City, PA
- Seattle Woodturners, Bothell, WA
- Show Me Woodturners, House Springs, MO
- Sioux Land Woodturners, Lennox, SD
- South Coast Woodturners, Reedsport, OR
- South Plains Woodturners Inc, Lubbock, TX
- Tampa CHP Lighthouse for the Blind, Tampa, FL
Schools & Other
- Bill Juhl, Nevada City, CA
- Dale Gillaspy, Glendale, AZ
- Arbutus Folk School, Oympia, WA
- Brent W Blackburn, Kaysville, UT
- Eliot School of Fine a Applied Arts, Boston, MA
- Fuller Craft Museum, Brockton, MA
- Greg Bridges, Redmond, OR
- Home Port Learning Center, Bellingham, WA
- Jackson County High School, McKee, KY
- Ogden Preparatory Academy, Ogden, UT
- St Rita School for the Deaf, Cincinnati, OH
- Winnebago High School, Winnebago, IL
2013 EOG Recipients
Congratulations to the 2013 EOG recipients ... 117 applications were reviewed, and 27 were approved in the amount of $35,723. Additionally, one AAW symposium scholarship was awarded.
2013 EOG Recipients
- Bruce Robbins - Richmond VA
- Cape Atlantic Woodturners - Upper Township NJ
- Carl Smith - Tempe AZ
- Chippewa Valley Woodturners - Eau Claire WI
- Community School of Davidson - Davidson NC
- Credo High School - Rohnert Park CA
- Des Moines Woodturners - Des Moines IA
- Enchanted Woodturners - Santa Fe NM
- Endless Mountain Turners - Troy PA
- James Trimble - Belle Fourche SD
- Long Island Woodturners Guild - Smithtown NY
- Mansfield City School - Mansfield OH
- Narrow Gate Foundation - Williamsport TN
- New Mexico Woodturners - Albuquerque NM
- Nikiski Middle High School - Nikiski AK
- North Carolina Woodturners - Hickory NC
- Northern Rockies Woodturners - Bozeman MT
- Olympia High School - Olympia WA
- Reedsport Community Charter School - Reedsport OR
- Saugus High School - Saugus CA
- Superiorland Woodturners - Ishpeming MI
- Tennessee Association of Woodturners - Brentwood TN
- Tri County & Chattahoochee Woodturners - Tampa & Gainesville FL
- Tri State Woodturners - Chattanooga TN
- Twin State Woodturners - St Johnsbury VT
- West Michigan Woodturners - Portage MI
- Wilmington Area Woodturners - Wilmington NC
2013 Symposium Scholarship Recipient
- George Kabacinski - Cypress TX
2012 EOG Recipients
Congratulations to the 2012 EOG recipients ... 181 applications were reviewed, and 50 were approved in the amount of $65,126. Additionally, four AAW symposium scholarships were awarded.
2012 EOG Recipients
- Adam Hood - Lakeland FL
- Alexander Central School - Alexander NY
- Alkta High School - Sandy UT
- Amity High School - Amity OR
- Antelope Valley Woodturners Association - Quartz Hill CA
- Arizona Woodturners Association - Chandler AZ
- Association of Revolutionary Turners - Dedham MA
- Brighton High School - Cottonwood Heights UT
- Darrell Copeland - Weaverville NC
- Diamond State Turners - Jacksonville AR
- Duck River Woodturning Club - Spring Hill TN
- Eastern Maine Woodturners - Bangor ME
- Ed Kelle - Glen Head NY
- Eliot School of Fine & Applied Arts - Jamaica Plain MA
- Florida Westcoast Woodturners - Clearwater FL
- Fort Christmas Folk School - Christmas FL
- Front Range Woodturners - Ladies of the Lathe - Parker CO
- Grand River Wood Turners Guild - Rockford MI
- Great Falls Woodturners - Great Falls MT
- Guild of New Hampshire Woodworkers - Manchester NH
- Houston High School - Houston MN
- Hub City Turners - Saskatoon SASK Canada
- Ian Meyer - Fort Collins CO
- Jeff Brockett - Mount Juliet TN
- Joel P. Jensen Middle School - West Jordan UT
- Keith Holt - Forest Hill MD
- Kids Making It - Wilmington NC
- Kimberly Winkle - Smithville TN
- Kip Christensen & Boy Scouts of America - Springville UT
- Middle School at Parkside - Manchester NH
- Mount Jordan Middle School - Sandy UT
- Mt. Diablo Adult Education Woodturning Program - Martinez CA
- Nor-Cal Woodturners - Sacramento CA
- Northeast Florida Woodturers Association - Jacksonville FL
- Palm Beach County Woodturners - West Palm Beach FL
- Paramount Visual Art Center - St Cloud MN
- Port Townsend School of Woodworking and Preservation Trades - Port Townsend WA
- Robert B. Povalkins - Rockwell NC
- Simcoe Woodturners Guild - Coldwater ONT Canada
- South Auckland Woodturners Guild - Auckland New Zealand
- T.W. Kelly Dirigo Middle School - Dixfield ME
- Tennessee Association of Woodturners - Nashville TN
- Vincent Appel Downey High School - Downey CA
- West Bay Woodturners - Morgan Hill CA
- Western New York Woodturners Two - South Wales NY
- Wine Country Wood Turners - Windsor CA
- Winnebago High School - Winnebago IL
- Woodturners of Polk County - Lakeland FL
- Zumbro Valley Woodturners - Pine Island MN
2012 Symposium Scholarship Recipients
- Ronald Ainge - Aurora CO
- Rick Crawford - Ormond Beach FL
- Susan B. Taylor - Old Fort NC
- Dan Tilden - Ashland OR