Since 2007, the Professional Outreach Program (POP) of the American Association of Woodturners has sponsored invitational exhibitions of small scale works. The annual exhibitions bring together works by professional studio turners from many countries. The theme for 2017 is The Sphere – Second Round.
For 2017 the POP committee is accepting a limited number of juried pieces. As always, the creative interpretation of the theme is up to the artist, but the work must meet the size requirements and be created for this exhibition.
All pieces will be offered in a simultaneous live and online auction scheduled during the 2017 AAW International Woodturning Symposium in Kansas City. Artists may retain up to 50% of the auction price, or take a lower percentage to help support POP initiatives, including grants, fellowships, awards, and panel discussions. Artists may also set a reserve if desired.
Prior to the AAW Symposium, the show will be displayed at the AAW Gallery of Wood Art in St. Paul, Minnesota from March through May 2017. All pieces will be professionally photographed for the online auction and included in a print catalog; participating artists receive complimentary copies.
Selection criteria will include aesthetic appeal, originality, interpretation of the theme, and craftsmanship. Jurying will be based on the images of the piece and the artist’s theme statement.
Any work accepted that is found to have been inaccurately represented will be disqualified.
The application period is November 1, 2016 to January 1, 2017. Applicants will be notified by January 15, 2017 and accepted work must be shipped to the AAW by February 1, 2017.
Please read all guidelines carefully.
- You may enter images of up to three pieces for consideration.
- The upper size limit is 6” x 6” x 6” (20.3 cm). There is no lower size limit.
- A statement relating the work to the theme is required.
- Image files should be in .jpg format, and 2800 pixels on the longest dimension. You may include up to three views of each piece.
- The application fee is $30. New this year: Students enrolled in woodworking, design, art and manufacturing degree or certification programs are eligible to have their fees waived.
Read/view press release: AAW Announces Invited Artists for 2017 International Exhibition; Call for Artist Submissions