THE APPLICATION PERIOD IS CLOSED.
Waves of Grain is the theme for the 2017 AAW Member Exhibition, which will premiere at the AAW Symposium in Kansas City, Missouri. Although the title theme was selected to honor the rich agricultural history of the region, it was also chosen to provide a catalyst for other interpretations. From ancient grain goddesses to the amber waves of wood grain, it is a theme rich in possibilities.
All AAW members are eligible and encouraged to apply: We are looking for both traditional and innovative work. Entries will be evaluated in the following areas: overall appeal, technical execution, originality, and relationship to theme. Each piece will be considered individually, and by how well it fits with the overall composition of the exhibition.
Two artist awards will be given during the 2017 AAW international symposium: a Masters’ Choice Award of $300 and a People’s Choice Award of $200.
Entry Dates and Fees:
Entries will be accepted online from November 1, 2016 through February 1, 2017. All applicants will receive email notification by March 31, 2016. The entry fee of $30 covers up to three submissions.
Work must be made at least in part on the lathe and have been created between February 1, 2015 and January 31, 2017. A statement (100 word maximum) of how your piece fits the exhibition theme is required.
Please review the guidelines and rules below before planning your project.
- Waves of Grain will be shown in June at the 2017 AAW International Symposium in Kansas City before traveling to the AAW Gallery of Wood Art in Saint Paul, Minnesota, for exhibition from September through December, 2017. This is a touring exhibition; work must stay with the show until its conclusion.
- Entry Fee: $30 for up to three submissions. You may submit up to three pieces, but no more than one piece per artist will be accepted for the exhibition.
- Sales: A 45% commission will be charged on sales made during the exhibition.
- Work must be created at least in part on the lathe.
- Work must have been created between February 1, 2015 and January 31, 2017.
- An artist statement (up to 100 words) describing how the piece fits the theme is required. Entries may be edited for length and clarity.
- You may upload up to three images per piece. Include one view of the overall piece. Additional detail images or alternate views are optional. Images must be JPEGs, saved at 2800 pixels on the longest side. Click here for photo resizing instructions.
- The symposium venue does not accommodate wall-hung pieces. If a wall-hung piece is accepted, the artist must provide a simple and attractive means of display. Display is subject to approval.
- There is no size limit, but only a few oversized pieces will be accepted due to space and shipping requirements. Oversized is defined as shipping in a box that exceeds 108" (207cm) in overall dimension (2 × width + 2 × depth + length).
- A full-color exhibition catalog will be produced. Artists whose entries are selected will receive a complimentary catalog.
- Shipping or delivery to the Kansas City venue is the responsibility of the artist. The AAW will pay return shipping fees. Work will be insured while in the exhibition and during return shipping.
For further information: Tib Shaw at email@example.com, 651-484-9094
Click here for photo resizing instructions.